View Single Post
Old 11-08-2011, 02:27 PM   #2
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire and Ice View Post
I asked my local speed shop about the sts turbo kit for my LLT and they said that there is a ton of turbo lag because of the fact that it is a rear mounted setup. They said that they had installed them before and that the sts turbo kit is better than not having a turbo but that they are not that good. So I wanted to get the other side of the story so I called sts and asked them about the turbo kit and the turbo lag. They told me that in the past that it was a problem but that its not a problem any more. So if anyone has a sts kit or has driven a car with a sts sutup please give me your input no lag, lil lag or a lot of lag thanks
A couple of questions...

What are your goals power wise,

Do you plan on racing, and if so, what type of racing, drag, land speed, road racing etc...

Do you have an auto or manual trans...

The reason for these questions... Lag is relative... Sure, compared to a front mount turbo system, there will be a bit of lag... but STS has come a long way in eliminating lots of it... The physics tell you that it takes longer to fill up the exhaust pipes from the manifold back to the turbos, and then you have to fill the pipes back to the engine... Bare in mind that there is as much pressure in the pipes from the manifold to the turbo's as there is in the boost pipes to the intake... There is also the cooling of the gases from the exhaust manifold to the turbos, and this causes a condensing of the gases, less volume = less spin of the turbine... until the heat is fully spread out...

This can be largely managed as STS has done by proper sizing of the pipes, and smooth runs...

If you do not plan on hard core racing, then it could be a lot of fun...

If you plan on racing and have an automatic car, then it will benefit you by allowing you to get off the line before full boost is achieved helping with tire spin...and not having to lift to shift allows you to stay at full boost after it's achieved for the entire run.

If you have a manual car then you will have to consider a no lift shift controller so you don't loose boost everytime you shift...

For pure street driving, then go for it.. For drag racing, it can be managed but it'll cost some money and effort...

For road racing, it might be the way to go as the boost doesn't hit as hard as a front mounted turbo...

All in all, STS can make a ton of power, but realistically it wont come on as fast as an exhaust manifold mounted or top mounted turbo....

A friend has an STS system on his truck, and he has no complaints, but, relative to say my turbo's, yes there is some lag... there has to be... but then my system lags compared to a roots or twin screw blower... It's the nature of the beast...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote