View Single Post
Old 06-15-2014, 07:21 PM   #1
WiredAVS

Drives: '21 TRx '22 ZLe
Holley Covers and Catch Can

Ok....I've tried searching and have come up with a lot of info but nothing to help aid here....

I'm running into an issue with excessive oil in the catch can after installing the Holley rocker covers. Im using the Original Elite Catch Can two port with no check valves. I spoke with a few different individuals about the setup Including Elite and pretty much got the same opinions with the whipple installation.

A 10 mile trip will fill the can to the half way mark! Im coming from the driver back port of the cover to the top of the can and the side of the can to the blower.

On the passenger side I've tried a couple of different setups along with the catch can on the drivers side.

I've tried:
-Keeping the oil fill cap and routing the passenger port to the intake tube
-Using the 1LE separator(removes oil fill cap and routes to intake tube) and blocking the passenger port on cover
-Installing an additional catch can between the passenger port and intake tube

so far all have yielded the same result with the only exception being I trapped oil on the passenger side when I installed a catch can as well. Only a tiny bit.

Im not a big fan of using an open breather on the passenger cover so I'm looking for options.

Im wondering if the holes in the baffle of the holley's are getting hammered by oil slung off the rockers and filling the baffle causing the oil to be sucked into the can. I have removed the covers and inspected them side by side. The passenger side baffle is pretty spot on to the factory covers. The holes are nearly in the same spot. Also the Holley baffles are nearly identical to each other as well. However on the driver side there is a quite a bit of difference. Ive included driver side pictures.

Before I swapped the covers I did make the same 10 mile trip with catch can installed and did not get any oil. I drive pretty much the same all the time so thats not a factor. If I empty the can and make the run it will come back with oil in the can. Something is not right.

Im going to put the factory cover back on the driverside and see if i get any oil in the can.

As you can see the main inlet hole on the baffle is off. On the factory cover the hole is over a hump in the head that could possibly help shield oil from flowing into the hole. On the Holley the hole is directly between two pushrods. Really don't know how oil flows inside the head so I could be way off here.

Factory inlet

Holley inlet. Also notice the slots at the bottom. These are present on both of the baffles on the passenger side, the Holley and the factory. However it's not on the driverside factory.

This is the only other hole of the factory driver cover besides the larger opening. It is near the port side of the cover.

Holley port side. Again the two slots. I'm sure they are for draining oil that gets caught in the baffle. But why none on the factory driver?

Factory port. This is the one everyone says to drill out.

Holley wide open.

Any ideas?

ePhone

Recaro's, Custom Autometer Gauges, Hotchkis 1" Lowering Coils, CAi Intake, Elite Catch Can's, 1 7/8" StainlessWorks LT's w/Hi Flo Cat's mated to factory NPP Exhaust, 160* Thermo, NightFury Cam, 2.9l Whipple on Meth @ 11lbs, JoeGibbs LS30 in the CrankCase, Built by Nick, Steven, and Tuned By Shawn at Lethal Racing....

Last edited by WiredAVS; 06-15-2014 at 07:45 PM.
WiredAVS is offline   Reply With Quote