View Single Post
Old 03-20-2008, 10:07 AM   #1
Gatecrasher
User

Drives: 1994 Stealth R/T Turbo
V6 vs V8, and the 50/50 weight balance

I decided to engage some of my impressive Google-fu, and see if I could shed a little light on the expected mass for the Camaro.

As quoted by Maximum Bob...

Quote:
Lutz said that with the V6, the Camaro achieves a nearly perfect 50-50 weight distribution: “With the V6, it is not a heavy car. The Camaro will be a very lively and engaging car,” he said.
We've all been concerned about the mass of this car. Well, most of us anyway. Lower mass equals better fuel economy and more effective application of available power. Some folks were concerned that the V8 will mean the car is a lot heavier or will spoil this "nearly perfect 50-50 weight distribution"

Not so. Assuming we get an LS3 or similar engine, it's not much heavier than the confirmed DOHC LLT V6. Here's some numbers for comparison.

LLT V6 - 380 lbs
LS3 V8 - 415 lbs
LS4 V8 - 419 lbs
LS7 V8 - 454 lbs (not sure why this is 40 lbs heavier than the LS3...)
LSA V8 - 467 lbs (marine variant. Only one I could get a number for, car engine is likely to be a bit heavier)

So in short, we're only looking at ~35-40 lbs weight difference based on the engines alone. The weight will be shifted forward in the chassis due to the length difference between the V6 and V8, but as a bonus, it'll be lower down in the chassis due to not being an OHC motor like the LLT.

I think we'll be just fine