View Single Post
Old 08-16-2010, 12:54 PM   #13
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

Drives: '69 Z/28 LeMans Blue w/White
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSLarry View Post
So, if GM puts in an inhibitor for a reason, then what would be the benefit of replacing that inhibitor way early (say, under 5000 mi) ? Why not let the inhibitor do it's job and replace the diff oil when recommended?

Just curious if we are actually hurting our cars by replacing that 'special' factory blend on a new diff.
I know nothing about any "inhibitor". The set up paste is just part of the assembly process and it is what gives the fluid a strange color. The only reason I posted about it was to offer an explanation for the strange looking fluid. The off-color fluid complaint is known to GM so they gave that response so service departments can respond to owners who inspect the rear axle lubricant at earlier service intervals. The paste serves no usefull purpose after the differential is assembled. It is just "in there" causing no problems other than appearance.

I will plan on changing my diff fluid soon. It has 8,000 miles and some drag strip runs on it. The manual gives some advice here so I plan on following it.

-Mark.
Stingr69 is offline   Reply With Quote