View Single Post
Old 03-23-2012, 11:57 AM   #669
Moreno1

Drives: G5.R
Quote:
Originally Posted by 572HP View Post
I still don't understand what is wrong with what you did, unless somehow the bolt didn't ground to the frame because it was painted, yet it was grounding across the brake line to the other end of it. I would also wonder why it would have heated up...I would have thought that a brake line would be able to carry a large amount of current. Just consider yourself lucky that you still have a car.
Yea, No kidding! I don't know either . Before reconnecting the battery, I PMed EZ a pic of how I grounded the wire so I could get his opinion just in case I was assuming something I shouldn't. He though it be OK also.

Little did I know................ that for the grace of God, I might had to rename this thread "How to extinguish your Engine Bay"

I post some pics of the Russell and Painless later along with some of the other crap that melted.

Once I realized the causative factor for all the smoke, I drilled a new hole and re-grounded the wire. Mind you, at this juncture, I still had not attempted to start the car. To add insult to injury, when I did turn the key ......... it wouldn't start. The whole day I spent worrying about what else could had gone wrong . That was the same day as my brother birth day. Had lots of friends over that night. Everybody was wondering why I was so :(. To say I didn't get much sleep that night would be an understatement. The next morning I went out and looked everything over again and notice I had not connected a plug. Once I reconnected it and attempted to start the car, it came to life. You could say I was relieved!

So you can say I've taken a few of these for the team.

Last edited by Moreno1; 03-23-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Moreno1 is offline   Reply With Quote