View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012, 08:09 PM   #21
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
Why are you bucket washing after claying? That's kind of redundant and not needed imo
That depends on your mindset and attention to detail. I will ALWAYS do a second two bucket wash after claying for 2 or more reasons. One, I want to make sure that I remove any clay residue as well as clay off the finish. The absolute last thing I want to happen is to have clay get caught in one of my pads and ruin it. Two, I want to see exactly what the finish looks like BEFORE I start working on it. Looking at a bunch of dried up detail spray can somewhat hide some of the paint damage. A artist starts with a clean canvas, not one with paint all over it. This is the canvas I want to see before a drop of polish leaves any of my bottles. Last of all, claying a car that has some serious contamination is going to take awhile, possibly days. By the time I'm done claying a '69 Lincoln, that car is going to be dusty. Buffing on a dusty or dirty car is not only wrong, it's stupid. Thus, that car is going to get another 2-bucket wash.

So there's THREE reasons to do a 2-bucket wash after claying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
At the very most, I'd recommend a waterless wash to remove the clay residue. Certainly no reason to bust out a two bucket wash whatsoever.
The less you touch the paint, the better it is for the paint. If I am going to touch the paint in a manner to clean it after claying, I'm going to do it the safest way possible. Washing the car is a LOT safer than breaking out a towel, some quick detailer and wiping on the paint. The safest way trumps anything suggested here and properly washing a car is the safest way to remove dirt, period.

I can prove that all day long, video after video.

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote