View Single Post
Old 06-16-2008, 01:40 AM   #14
Jinx
Owner of Shunt

Drives: 2001 Mustang GT vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Beast_ View Post
dont know last time i check OHC have better engine speeds.
Each one has there pros and cons. Packaging is going to be an issue with a DOHC with larger displacement. So a small displacement with DOHC will prolly be chosen to do the same as an larger displacement with OHV. I think the engine bay is about the same size as the last gen camaro, so try to imagine a 6.2 with DOHC,.....it would be ****ing huge.

Plus, the ability for high engine speeds is great if if you need to spin the hell out of it to get the needed power. Thats not needed when you got an engine that makes its power in low and mid range and the displacement to spare do it in.

Perfect example of high revving to get bigger numbers from DOHC:

Lexus IS-F: 415hp @ 6600; 371tq @ 5200 (5.0L DOHC with DI)
BMW M3: 414hp @ 8300; 295tq @ 3900 (4.0L DOHC with DI)
Ferrari F430: 483 hp @ 8500; 343tq @ 5250 (4.3 DOHC)

These are all wonderful engines, but I like an affordable car too. If high revving is what you want, its going to take more than just heads. Its going to take an bottom end that handle the speeds to take advantage of that feature.

As for me I like low and mid range power from GM's current OHV offerings and at a price I cant argue with. Even if GM manage to squeeze a 6.2 DOHC into the engine bay and make 500+ hp; I dont think anyone in this decade or the next half decade will drive away with a under 40k Camaro.

Saleen managed to pull off 390hp with 5.0L SOHC. Ford made the Cobra R with 385 hp from a 5.4L DOHC. Hell I contemplated the idea of building a 5.4 based Ford Modular for my Mustang, but after some research it wouldnt be worth the money even with the best parts chosen for the build. I hate to say it, but I wouldnt bet on GM to build a larger displacement engine (6.0L +) with DOHC with power optimized in regular production cars anyway. Not because they cant, but because they have more cost effective ways to make the power (they are looking at forced induction, LSA, LS9). Not to mention the fact gas mileage is good on current OHV engines. So why change?

If it isnt broke, dont fix it.

If we are talking V6 and I4s then by all means use DOHC. Because I dont think we will ever see a 4.5L bastard OHV V6 in a Camaro, nor do I want to. Lol.

Support the "JINX CAMARO FUND" at http://www.zazzle.com/jinxdesign

Last edited by Jinx; 06-16-2008 at 01:52 AM.
Jinx is offline   Reply With Quote