View Single Post
Old 08-25-2008, 02:07 PM   #105
motorhed

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS IOM,2000 Grand Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Well it may be designed to be the "poor man's Corvette", but that doesn't mean it is one. They may be made by the same company, but they're in totally different classes, and price ranges. Sorry, but I dont want space age tech on my car if it makes it that much more expensive. Example, the two have the same heart (LS3) but will differ by over $10k because of the amount of engineering that goes into the Corvette. If you are looking for 'Vette performance, buy a Corvette. If you want a reasonably priced car with Corvette similarities, buy a Camaro. If you want Corvette performance at Camaro cost, sorry, I don't know where to point you there. It is not fair or logical to expect world class competing performance in an average joe car.

I shall step off the soapbox now. Just tired of people nitpicking.

Good points. Let me respond by saying you can get a 2004 C5 Z06 that will probably walk the new camaro pretty well for $28-32K depending on the usual variables. Until the C6 came out, you didn't really have all the glitz and glamour options like navigation, push button start, etc.

How about a really nice used C5 (3250lb) Z06 with every bit of performance for the dollar as possilble for less money than a new SS camaro. I'm not saying that they are the same cars, they are completely different and you're right, different target market but it you start looking at the money for overall performance (not just straight), it's hard to beat a used vette. I dont care or need a back seat, so for some that is a factor.

I'm disapointed because what you call "an average joe car" is not the camaro, that can be a 350Z, Mustang, etc. The Camaro was the vehicle that Chevrolet engineers were really going to spend their time and effort on to make it right. Just sad that these days 3800lbs is the best we can do with a V-8, IRS, and 1000 air bags. It's more of an industry/safety issue rather than a GM issue.

Not nitpicking at all, i think Chevrolet did a wonderful job on the overall execution of the car but i knew the curb weight was going to be a problem given what they were starting with. Cant wait to test drive it and i hope it exceeds my expectations and end up buying one.

7/23/2010 - 1100
8/18/2010 - Born on Date 2G1FT1EW1B9120590
9/3/2010 - Pick Up
-----------------------------
| Photos |
motorhed is offline   Reply With Quote