View Single Post
Old 04-24-2010, 09:11 AM   #11
1fastdog

Drives: 2002 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayC1974 View Post
My local speed shop here in Arkansas is telling me that there will be no problem just deleting my catalytic converter. My set up I am going for is Kooks Long tube headers with a Corsa exhaust and Hypertech Tune. Now of course the headers with no catalytic converter are way less money but im worried about my warranty. I live in a state that emissions is not a problem so deleting the cats would be no problem for that. My questions are.

What are the pros and cons of deleting my catalytic converter? Will I have a problem setting my Tune back to stock if I have to take it into the dealer for warranty work? Will I be better off with out my catalytic converter performance wise?

Now my local Speed shop says I will have no problem what so ever with out my catalytic converters, please tell me what you think.

Thanks.
The speed shop is misinformed or out and out lying to you unless they are under the impression you are converting you car to a vehicle that will not be used on the street but as a racing vehicle in sanctioned events.

You have to decide if the HP gains are worth it.

Removing a good cat/s is illegal. Period. ARE THE FEDS GOING TO SEND BLACK HELICOPTERS TO YOUR HOUSE AS A RESULT? Not likely.

It will be an issue if and when you sell or trade your vehicle. All dealers will require you to sign a statement that all of the emission devices are still in place if you trade the vehicle in... that's when it can become sticky. It would be wise to keep all of the OEM exhaust around for reinstallation if you don't want issues with the feds if you sell or trade the car for street use.

As for your warranty from GM? It's likely that any failure in the powertrain will be denied and the powertrain portion of your car's warranty will be blocked. Some level of retune is going to be required to stop service engine soon lights from going off.

If you want to get the most from the headers, a major tune is a must. A major tune will flag if checked.

Removing cats will change the smell of your car's exhaust. It's a major change. The exhaust will smell like a car from the pre-converter days.

Good longtubes definately can help produce more power. Getting the most will require much more than a canned tune will allow.

There's a lot of negative risk and expense involved. Know what you are setting yourself up for.