View Single Post
Old 04-12-2013, 11:27 PM   #1
intensifi

Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
DIY LFX Intake Manifold / Valve Cleaning

I didn't have a catch can on until 14K miles.

I had an upper induction cleaning done at the dealer to remove the initial oil and carbon buildup. That significantly helped smooth out the idle and improve my mileage.

However I felt more could be done to clean out the oil and carbon buildup in the intake manifold air pathways and on the valves themselves.

This DIY is the result of performing the GM documented procedure to remove and reinstall the intake manifold. In addition to the manifold remove/reinstall procedure I added instructions based on research and the suggestions of knowledgable camaro5 members/vendors to safely clean the valves.

After completing this procedure, my car runs very smoothly. My mileage has also increased (0.7 MPG - stop and go city driving).

After directly seeing what builds up without a catch can, I am a catch can believer.

I also now believe that if you do not have a clean intake manifold, associated air pathways and valves you WILL NOT obtain the full benefit of cold air intakes or ported throttle bodies.

Please feel free to critique or add suggestions that have worked for you. I welcome your input.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf LFX Air Intake Removal:Cleaning:Reinstallation.pdf (931.2 KB, 8385 views)