View Single Post
Old 09-15-2011, 02:01 PM   #1058
thePill
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 Mustang GT Premium
The more I think about it, the more I doubt that a Z28 is in the near future. While Chevrolet has just released the ZL1's specs and are advertising the car to be track ready, research and development of even more of a track car could greatly and negatively affect sales and hype of the ZL1. With a power to weight ratio of or around 7.80, the Z28 would be very close to the ZL1's 7.24 even during the 1st lap (think ZR1 and Z06). You begin to factor in eventual heat soak, 4200lb curb weight, MSRP+markup and the ZL1 doesn't stand a chance over a multiple lap contest.

I have heard of horsepower losses from 20-40rwhp from heat soak and depending on the computer, it could possibly pull timing (pretty common) affecting horsepower even further. Not a wise decision releasing two Z's and seeing as the LS7 is just a better engine on the inside, those who mod their cars will obviously chose a cheaper LS7 Z28 option over the more expensive LSA ZL1. What can a heat soaked 4200lb car do while actually producing 20-40rwhp less and possibly much less after timing is pulled to an NA, fully forged engine making almost the same power in a car that weighs 250lbs less? Not a great marketing strategy if you ask me... Unless sales continue to fall forcing Chevrolet to push out a new model for attention (which is a big possibility), I don't see them polluting the their own market.

If they make the Z28 too inexpensive, it will affect the sales of the SS and by the looks of the numbers last spring, the V6 is already threatening the SS as is...
thePill is offline   Reply With Quote