View Single Post
Old 08-30-2013, 12:05 AM   #5
yzark99
I run 2 catch cans...

Drives: 2012 1LT SIM Auto
LED Inside Door Pull Lighting: I have always liked the UV color of purple lighting in fun houses. I decided to go with more of a purple color, as the UV can be hard on the eyes.

I got my LEDs from microtivity on Amazon, about $7 shipped for 25. They are the flat or "straw hat" versions - not the normal dome style that you see everywhere. They are so bright that they actually light up the sill on the passenger side, from the light spill over the handle when the door is opened - but my car is SIM which helps. YMMV

I drilled a hole in the passenger's side handle area to start. I removed the door panel from the car for this. I re-installed the pocket cover plate, and used a center punch to mark where to drill; then removed it again to drill. I had to drill inside out, as there was zero clearance to drill from the back.

Somehow, I managed to not only scratch above and below the pocket with my drill bit, but the dash as well. Oh well.

I used a drill that was slightly bigger than the LED diameter to finish the hole. I then taped the LED into this hole. It doesn't protrude from the hole inside the pocket.

I connected the + and - from my LED wiring assembly (bare bulb + soldered resister + wires) to the yellow and black wires on the door window switch. This has worked great (see photo).

The driver's side was carefully drilled out without marking anything.

That has been the only good on that side. There are no yellow and black wires on the 2012 driver's side window switch. My first attempt failed, switching to different pairs failed for #2, #3 - I used a multimeter to check voltages on the passenger's side - but all voltages on the driver's side are different! F'n GM!

Now I am thinking that I will need to run a wire from the working passenger's side yellow wire into the driver's side door to hook this up. PITA!

Update: The LED is dead in less than a year. I will need to find another supplier that has this color.
Attached Images

Last edited by yzark99; 08-10-2014 at 12:26 PM. Reason: led dead
yzark99 is offline   Reply With Quote