View Single Post
Old 07-02-2011, 02:34 PM   #14
flopjack

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
We will never see a 475HP out of a factory LS3

That also being said odds of the LS7 in a 5th gen Camaro are slim since the LS7 is built by hand. I even place money on the fact that we will not see a Gen V v8 in a Camaro until 2014, although this is the motor i think a majority of Z28 fans want.

Now if they didnt make the LS7 by hand i think it would be the engine it would get until the new alpha platform is used.
There is an engine on GMPP called the LS376/480...it has 480hp and 475 lb-ft of torque. Its just a hot cam LS3. That's kind of power it will need to overcome the weight disadvantage to the Boss 302.

All we want is a Z/28 that is faster than the Boss 302 without using forced induction, lighter than SS without using expensive materials, handles better than the Boss without using magnetic shocks and all that for around $40,000. I mean, how hard could it be?

No doubt, the designers and engineers have their work cut out for them.

If the Z/28 comes out as a 5th Generation, which I think it should, it will most likely not be an LS7 powered car that weighs 3500 lbs. The odds are that it will weigh between the V6 and V8 at around 3750. That's not too bad really.

There's no current engine in production that would be a clearly perfect fit for the car.

Scenario one is that the C7 Corvette goes to the next generation engine and the Z/28 gets the LS7 that is left behind.

Scenario two is that the Z/28 gets an enhacned LS3 such as the hotcam engine. I just can't see a new generation 4 engine (LS8?) being produced just for the Z/28, especially with the Gen5 so close at hand.

Scenario three, which actually makes a lot of sense from a production perspective is that the Z/28 is the first Camaro to get the new Gen 5 engine the year after the brand new corvette, so we're looking at 2013/2014 model year for a one or two year run for the Z/28 before the 6th generation camaro is rumored to debut. And if the engine is a 5.5 liter race-bred V8 as it has been rumored, then it is the perfect engine for this car, and I see it being about 450 to 460 hp in this application.