View Single Post
Old 12-16-2010, 05:34 PM   #123
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyakaPig View Post
Great post! This info really tied together a lot of concepts that I've been learning and coming to understand lately.
Thanks I'm hoping the concepts of what I was trying to say came across. I can go into many things a fair amount more, however, much the theory of what I've learned has come Yank's website, and I'm not sure it still has that stuff posted. I can tell you that my car, and my brother's car proved the theories of efficiency, STR, and shift extension quite well, IMO. Ultimately, his car was a touch faster because my car's tuning wasn't quite done, but even if I were able to finally get a good pass from it after the tuning was completed, I don't think it would've quite matched his car. He ran a 12.4 on a lid, catback, MT DRs, 3.73s, and a crapped canned tune. My car pulled a 12.5, hitting the limiter a few times on the 2-3 shift, running the same mods', with only a unfinished tranny tune, and OEM 3.23s. I think his car might have had a 12.2-.3 in it in the fall when it was nice, dry, and cold around here, because that 12.4 was in the summer in 90* temps. Mine was in the summer, too, but I'll never know what she would've run

I don't know if the Gen 5s are going to benefit, as much, from the converters, as the 4-speed tranny guys. My guess is the gear spacing is the biggest factor, and the spread on the 4-speed trannies was really long, especially on the 1-2. I know it's a little long on the 6L80s, but I don't really think it's as great as the 4L60s. The overall ratios are shorter on the 6L's, too, to my understanding, so, again, I just don't know if the gains are going to be quite as much. Also, it seems like many of the trannies I've watched in videos converters are locking up during the run. I know ours didn't lock - we were always running unlocked, which made me that much more of a believer in the converter's efficiency.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote