View Single Post
Old 09-17-2009, 08:55 AM   #3
GaryTucker

Drives: 09 Vette GT1, 06 350Z, 82 MSE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSOOCH View Post
It's all in your head people...move along now.....
Actually, it's all in your perception as shown. I figured we would see something like this once I saw that dealers were repainting cars and blending the paint...which is actually "fading" the paint...remember those wonderful fade paint jobs of a few years ago? That's what blending is...only with the "same" two colors. This leaves an area in your paint that is "thicker" overall, but has a thinner finish coat due to the need to overlap the paint and not end up with a perceptible stopping point. I never been a fan to this on a car that will see alot of detailing...on a cobalt that is a point a to point b car...its fine, but start buffing out a blended car and you may have issues if the painter didn't do a very good job.

The new metallics react quite a bit differently than their older non-waterbased brethren. The other issue you bring into the mix is a tint-coat versus a colored paint. I'm not sure what the base color on the RJT is, but I am betting it is white. Velocity yellow on Corvettes is this way and you do see what appears to be a "mismatch" at times just depending on what angle you are standing at.
GaryTucker is offline   Reply With Quote