View Single Post
Old 05-27-2009, 12:16 PM   #14
MrIcky

Drives: Dodge Ram Megacab & Cobalt SS
I agree that there's more to cars than 1/4 miles. However I can walk onto just about any car lot and get a regular looking hybrid at discount, we're talking 75k orders so they'll be close to MSRP. The lots are littered with good practical cars right now. You can save enough money off MSRP to get a bigger car and be money ahead on gas for several years vs the Prius.

I HAD been thinking that you buy a Prius to either: make a statement and stand in solidarity with Cameron Diaz for the rights of the earth mother! or you're super-anal-frugal about saving gas (I know people like this-hypermilers, etc- it's almost an addiction). Now I'm thinking that Prius/Insights must be the new mainstream.

But with that many orders of Prius' and Insights and the last election cycle, etc (that's not political-I'm just saying that the current leadership does not necessarily reflect my way of thinking)...I am starting to feel like maybe I'm 'out of touch'. I'm not going so far as to say the mainstream is right, but I have to think that I'm no longer part of the mainstream.

I'm not even against normal looking hybrids- but Prius's are such a statement. Plus I think the 2.0 VW diesel is a better car then the 2009 Prius was (haven't been in a 2010). And why not diesel hybrids if automakers are serious- you'd certainly get better results for economy.
MrIcky is offline   Reply With Quote