View Single Post
Old 10-23-2010, 10:13 PM   #19
GQ4Life

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by danhr View Post
I'm not assuming. That is what happens 99% of the time. This is from first hand experience.

Think about it.

When you change gears, you are not adding or taking away power. You are still putting down roughly the same power to the ground (actually, if you want to be technical you are going to be putting down a few horsepower LESS with the 4.10s, because you have more parastic drivetrain loss with them, compared to the 3.73's).

Regardless, the only thing you are changing is how fast you get into your powerband..... the steeper gear you go, the faster you get in your powerband, the faster you complete the 1320'.

So, for instance, it would take you 12.0 seconds to complete 1320 feet, and you would reach 118 mph. Well since you are going to be getting into your powerband faster, you will accellerate faster, but power will stay the same. So you will reach 30 mph faster, 60 mph faster, 90 mph faster, etc.
Thanks for the explanation. That does make sense. I do know 4.10s do cause more drive train loss. But thoguht it increases the TQ multiplier of what is going to the ground. Wondered why it never showed up on dynos though.
I am doing gears to have more umph from the line in 1st low rpms.
2015 Corvette Z06.. Lime Rock Park 1:01; Watkins Glen 2:14; Thompson Speedway 1:21
GQ4Life is offline   Reply With Quote