View Single Post
Old 09-30-2009, 08:14 AM   #30
2010-1SS-IBM

Drives: 1998 Nissan, 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
You're skewing a lot of things in your favor for the sake of debate...which is fine, I guess...but, man is it a little irritating.
I've supplied the reasons for all my arguments. I haven't heard any of you guys explain why the Z28 has to cost that much, or any reasons why people would buy it at that price other than "It's a Z28". At that price range, the Z28 mystique by itself isn't enough to convince ordinary people to buy it.

Quote:
Please explain how they'd lose money? They have the V6 and SS Camaro, which are to make up the vast majority of their sales. They don't NEED the Z28 -- which is the main reason they shelved it during the summer turmoil. It's a frivolous addition to the lineup. You don't have to believe me...that's the beauty of free-will...but it WILL be a low-volume model. So take it or leave it, I guess...
Because they won't sell at $50k. Whether the Z28 is frivolous will depend entirely on it's price.

Quote:
Then.....At $50k, a Z28 would be in the same price-range as an SS by your logic...which means 60% of current Camaro buyers would consider that. Not the small, undetectable minority you were talking about in your previous post...so why are we having this debate?
Because you lack basic comprehension, I suppose. High-hp performance stands out @ $35k. It doesn't @ $50k.

Quote:
And did you know that a large portion of Corvette-buyers are streching their dollar's worth to afford a base-version of that car? They don't have an extra 10 grand to spend...that's not chump-change. hmmm....
No, I don't know that. Do you know that?

Quote:
Then I suppose it's a ruddy miracle that Ford is selling GT500s....the outline you give about is simply the nature of the Industry, my friend.
Does Ford have another high-hp car to sell? No. Then it's not a miracle, it's simply a lack of options.

Quote:
If price was a buyers only consideration, and luxury trumps performance as you imply, then I'm positive we all would not be buying and driving Camaros...we could all be buying CTSs instead. But...that isn't happening.
I didn't say luxury trumps performance, I said performance and luxury trumps only performance.

Quote:
A car this niche will attract a VERY closed-minded buyer.
Rofl. Yeah, that's one way of saying "not many people will buy it", I suppose.

Quote:
A buyer who knows exactly what he/she wants to buy...and only needs a company to offer it for him to purchase. It is very unlikely that these people will search so far out the segment for a car.
Why not? Do you think people shopping for new cars give a crap about segments? I don't. I think they look at everything and buy what most appeals to them.

Quote:
Here goes: name me another car that can do what the GT500 does for $46,000 MSRP +/- $2000. It doesn't have to be better...just name another 2+2 coupe that can perform as well for that price. The M3 can, but that thing is well over $10,000 more (closing on $15,000 more).
You've got our arguments backwards. Your argument assumes people buy cars in segments. I don't. I think the GT500 competes with the Corvette for sales, and I also think the Camaro SS competes with the GT500 for sales.
2010-1SS-IBM is offline   Reply With Quote