View Single Post
Old 08-21-2008, 05:05 AM   #9
Punk_rider

Drives: VW Typ 166 + Black 1LE
I don't think they will import it: there's no market for this kinda ca rin europe (you guyes seeing a lot of mustangs?).

this is good news, the car will be cheaper.

My bro imported a 1990 corvette in france (the car was never imported by GM). The thing is quite easy: I don't have the details right now and may change with coutrnies but few hints:
make the car be bought be an american friend who resells it to you: taxes are lower on used cars.
when shipped, ask the shipper to let the car out a few weeks to make it dirty, remove some parts (make the bumper or visible things like that be shipped separately): you'll be able to declare a lower value without to many problems. If the taxman sees a wasted car, he won't look farther.
Fill the papers and bring the car home. If the car has an US licence plate, you have something like 3 month to change it. It means 3 month of wild speed with no risk for your driving license ... héhé ...
Then you will have to make the car be authorized: you just have to go to local authorities and make few changes: turning signals and so on ... give a little tip to the guy and you're car will pass first with not such a thorough review (I have an old car I homologated without even presenting the car ....).
Then you get the paper, and put everything back (common, getting a fine for your turning signals is worth the look).

Then ... enjoy! The full process form US to authorization should'nt cost much more than 5,000EUR I guess