View Single Post
Old 01-12-2012, 10:39 AM   #10
flht99b

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by flht99b View Post
Leave the stock exhaust and install Solo Hi Flow cats. The sound will change dramatically and may be exactly what you are looking for PLUS you'll pick up some power. Then if you have to have it louder you can install an aftermarket exhaust which will show no or minimal gains in power behind a stock engine.
Ed M.
I made the assumption and perhaps incorrectly the OP was keeping his stock exhaust manifolds. With stock manifolds or shorty headers the high flow cats are the way to go. If the long term goal is long tube headers, save you $$ and do LT's and the appropriate HF cats or cat delete at the same time and I would still use the stock cat back exhaust UNLESS heavy duty, major internal engine modifications are planned for the future. See my sig, mild engine mods, LT's, HF cats, stock cat back pipes ( with OEM resonators intact ) and a GMPP touring axle back. The GMPP axle back does nothing but improve the sound quality ( made it deeper ), shed weight and looks better. I don't believe the GMPP or Borla equivalent and probably others flow any better than the OEM "potato sack" mufflers, they just weigh less, look better and change the "tone". My set up has a great sound ( deeper and louder than stock BUT not overly so ), doesn't drone and does not tire me on a 400+ mile trip. Even my wife ( who drives a dead quiet Caddy ) thinks it sounds good and isn't too loud in the cabin. Full throttle application is a different story though .
It all boils down to what you want from the car and what you are willing to put up with and or spend to get there.
Ed M.
RJT 2SS/RS, AAM 3.70's, MTI Sway Bars, Shifter & SS brake lines, ZLI calipers, rotors & pads, BMR Trailing & Toe Arms, rear cradle & diff bushes, Pedders XA's, Camber/Toe eccentrics, Radius arm inserts, GTO clutch reservoir, LS9 cam, Comp valve springs, Melling 10296 oil pump, CR5 timing chain, LS6 damper, CAI Cold Air Intake, ARH LT headers w/HF cats, GMPP touring axle back, Elite Engineering Catch Can, Forgeline 20x9.5 & 20x11 DS3 whls, 275/40/20 & 315/35/20 tires, 2011 Convertible spoiler, 1LE front spoiler, Lloyd "SS" Floor Mats, GM Camaro Trunk Mat, wrapped console & Grant steering wheel.
flht99b is offline   Reply With Quote