View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 11:53 AM   #367
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by kona View Post
Blue over black is a good color combo, let us know if you get it....I understand the idea of a five speed/gear change for better cruising but this car is completely original except for one re-spray abput 10 years ago. I am going to keep her completely in-tact, to valuable to start messing with.
Scott...
I get that as well but switching over to a 5-speed isn't something that is irreversible. As long as you keep the 4-speed that came out of it.

What I've come to find is that unless the car is numbers matching and completely orginal (and I mean everything from the radio to the block to the gears to everything) then making a couple subtle changes isn't going to hurt anything as far as value goes. Especially if you have the orginal parts. To me the people that are willing to pay the high dollar for orginal want EVERYTHING orginal. Any slight deviation and you might as well add things you want.

That's the way car shows seem to go as well. They usually have a class for all orginal (I once got kicked out of that class because I had a different radio than what came in it) and then classes with a modified or slightly modified. So, unless you have everything exactly the way it came from the factory it's probably not going to be a big deal to make a few changes.

I tried going down that "orginial" road untill I got kicked from the class for things like the radio. Then I decided to make changes the way I would like it. Hell, I plan to keep that car till I die anyway. I've already had mine 27 yrs and I have way to many memories from highschool and with restoring it with my dad to let it go. That is unless someone offered me some absurd amount....like double it's value, even then I would have to twice think about it.

My 1st Gen is an orginal SS convertible with A/C. I haven't verified this but I was told by a very reputible person that has a similar car as mine that GM only made 268 SS Convertibles with A/C. But, like I mentioned, since I don't have everything just like it came from the factory then it's not as big of a deal. So, I converted my A/C over to vintage air...added 4 wheel discs, 5-speed, lowering springs, cam/header/bigger carb, wheels, etc. I made it mine and I've never heard anyone complain or say you should've kept it stock.

Just my take....
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote