View Single Post
Old 05-14-2013, 11:12 AM   #90
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss/rs-matt View Post
So the RB rotors with stock SS calipers are good or even better than the ZL1/CTSV front set up? Interesting. What pads are recommended with RB?
Depends on your driving skill and how often you go to the track. For the vast majority of drivers the stock SS calipers with RB rotors is a fantastic upgrade that will benefit you in every way. If you're an advanced driver like Blake is, then you can use and actually need more stopping power, although it sounds like he did rather well with the stock Brembos and RB rotors.

Let's see what RB comes up with for a caliper upgrade; their caliper/rotor combo may do the trick.

As for pads, here's a link to RB's pad guide:

http://www.racingbrake.com/v/main/rb_pads.asp

When I got mine they didn't have some of the new pads they do now. I have ET500's front and rear. They've worked very well on street and track. Based on what they now have it looks like a decent combo for the new-to-average track day driver would be XT910 on the front and ET500 or ET800 on the rear brakes. That should work for both street and track. You could go with the more aggressive XT960 on the front but I'm not sure those would be so good on the street. If you're swapping pads for track use only, then XT970 front and ET800 rear looks like it would be a great combo. Just don't forget to swap back to your street pads for the drive home. Racing pads have to get hot before they work well and normal street braking doesn't heat them up enough.

Something else to keep in mind when choosing the harder track pads is something has to wear. The softer pads wear out sooner so people think by getting harder pads that saves on brake pads but something has to wear; so harder pads means the rotors wear out faster. RB's 2-piece rotors let you replace the outer rotor while keeping the inner hat so rotor replacement isn't as expensive...another advantage to RB rotors.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote