View Single Post
Old 07-30-2009, 03:19 PM   #2
Steve@Vectormotorsports

Drives: Firehawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edrock View Post
I'm obviously new at this "performance tuning" business so here it goes:

1) After I install shorty headers and an "X" pipe Cat-back exhaust system along with OTR RAM Air system, will I REALLY need to get a tune in order to take advantage of the performance parts I just installed or will the computer eventually "learn" and make it's own adjustments that would equal a professional tune?

2) If I get a professional tune, will the new configuration get wiped out when the battery is diconnected or do the settings get saved into eprom chips or something, i.e., if I pay good $ for a tune, will it all get wiped out and I have to get the car re-tuned costing me even more $?

3) I think I already know the answer to this one but does getting a performance tune automatically void the warranty on the engine? I'm not worried about the warranty on the exhaust but the engine is a different story.

1 The ECM will not learn and calibrate itself, a tuner will need to do this for you.

2 The calibration is written to the ECM and when battery power is disconected the tune will still be there.

3 They may decide to not cover a claim if a different calibration is found. We have tools that can make the new calibration appear as the stock calibration to the GM tech 2.

Steve@Vectormotorsports
1-586-790-2970
Steve@Vectormotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote