View Single Post
Old 07-15-2009, 02:04 PM   #40
MikeBing

Drives: 2010 CGM/IO 2SS RS
Quote:
so all you did was cut the mufflers off and added straight pipes from there. Is is legal to run without mufflers in Texas, do you know? I would like to do this to our v-6. Who is selling the straight pipes?
Yes, I had the mufflers cut out and the tips cut off the mufflers. From there, the shop just welded in pipes, bent to fit, and welded the tips onto the pipes. Looks pretty stock from the back end...minus the huge mufflers hanging down of course. I believe you can get the piping from just about any shop.

It's not legal to do this in Texas, but my inspection is good for two years, and I'll figure out what to do from there when the time comes. You can always find a shop that'll let you by

Quote:
Would this void any type of warranty at all? And is there any kind of legality issue with this in Michigan? I don't know much about that stuff.
Like "I am Legend" said, the muffler warranty would obviously be voided, but who needs a muffler warranty when you don't have mufflers? My dealership said as long as I don't mess with emissions, the warranty is fine.

Quote:
Any noticed changes in resonance, or in the AFM?
resonance, as in drone? if so, there isn't any. There isn't even any rpm you can drive at that makes it sound annoying at all, and if you turn the music up to about 17 or 20 with the windows up, you don't even hear the exhaust anymore. It's THAT quiet inside the car. And sorry for my ignorance...but AFM?

Quote:
what would the V6 straight pipe sound like?
no idea...but I can tell you it won't sound quite like that haha...sorry to be no help.

Thanks to you all for the compliments. I'm loving the car! Now I need to get a video of me accelerating under a bridge....it sounds like a racecar! Plus, when slowing down, the car gurgles like mad through the rpm range of about 2500 down to 1500. It sounds wonderful. If you don't like that though, a tune can fix it...but who'd want to fix that?
MikeBing is offline   Reply With Quote