View Single Post
Old 06-13-2013, 12:27 PM   #31
POWERMAN

Drives: '13 Charger Sxt+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Adams View Post
Synthetic sealants are engineered for longevity in mind, first and foremost. To get the most life out of them, they need to "bond" to your paint...which is where the cure time being discussed in here comes into play. The curing process is when the sealant does it's bonding.

If you layer a sealant over a glaze for instance (which only lasts weeks rather than months) then the sealant will begin to degrade at the same rate the glaze does, which is relatively quickly in comparison.

Our recommendation is:

• Seal to create a long-lasting barrier to build upon.
  • Glaze to add depth and gloss to your finish.
  • Wax to amplify the depth and gloss of the glaze, as well as lock everything in. Think of the wax as your final barrier between the environment and your paint.

Simple enough, right?

Never thought of it that way, but thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Ok I wish somebody would provide some evidence to one side or the other on this. Todd from Autopia will argue the opposite, that sealants actually bonding or cross linking to paint is a myth. Obviously you're both well respected in this area, so I don't understand how we can still have this disagreement in this day and age of science and tech. This isn't a matter of opinion, it either does or it doesn't.

I will say I have found no difference in longevity whether sealant is applied first or after glaze. This makes my personal belief that sealant does not actually bond to paint, or if it does, it's not enough to impact long term performance.

Also when you have every single company on one side of the debate and only Adam's on the other... Idk.
So there's no such thing as locking in a glaze by sealing after uh?
POWERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote