View Single Post
Old 10-17-2009, 10:02 AM   #14
strobi
MJ STROH

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LTRS
Keys for 2010 Camaro

I am a locksmith, and have just ordered a new 2010 Cmaro myself. The locks are made by STRATTEC, and are called sidewinder locks, GM's latest in security type locks. They are also found on the new Equinox, and the Buick LaCrosse. The fobs you see on ebay, the keys have already been cut, and will be useless in your vehicle..You have to get a new key blank, have it cut and then placed in the fob and have it reprogrammed. The blanks SHOULD be available at a large locksmith shops soon, as far as I know they are not yet available to locksmiths, and not all locksmiths will be carrying them because it takes a special key cutting machine to cut them, and is VERY expensive. The dealers like it that way for obvious reason. Each key has a code, the code series for the Camaro and other systems is
Z0001-Z6000 and your camaro has a key code somewhere inbetween those two numbers, usually you will find this on your keyring(aluminum tab with number)when you purchase a new vehicle, sometimes its a little punch out piece. or the dealer can look up the code from your VIN#, , keep this number if you should ever loose your key or need to have one duplicated. I plan on getting a blank and have it cut to my code, and keep that key in my wallet. The key alone won't start your vehicle, but it will open the door, say if your keys are locked inside. Hope this helps everyone out...enjoy the ride!

Mike Strohbusch
strobi is offline   Reply With Quote