View Single Post
Old 04-11-2008, 03:07 PM   #5
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I'm not sure it's going to be accurate to compare LS3 components to assumed FI engines for Camaro.

The LS3 is NA and has hypereutectic pistons to my recollection, a kind of forged rod, and a nodular iron crankshaft. I am very sure if GM does go with FI for an opotional engine, it will share it's crankshaft with the forged steel cranks that are in the LSA and LS9. I doubt it would get the Ti rods from the LS9 since the LSA doesn't get them, and I doubt there are going to be forged pistons since the LSA doesn't get them either.

With the way GM tests things, I'm sure it would be safe to say and LSA will crank out and hold up very easily to 600 horse as long as it's been tuned well. I remember hearing about Cobra engines easily cranking out 450 RWHP with just intake, pulley, tune, and exhaust, so I can't imagine Camaro making too much less with half those additions. With the way GM has been underrating as of the last couple years, I'm sure the CTS-V will put down to close to 500 RWHP and if not, I know it will be super easy to get there with a pulley.

Another thing to consider is the LS9 is running 10+ pounds of boost; LSA isn't pushing quite that much. I'm sure since it's bottom-end is built stronger than the LS3 that it will easily handle the abuse of similar boost numbers to the LS9, afterall, that LS9 is engineered to live on the track.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote