View Single Post
Old 08-26-2008, 09:23 PM   #55
Mike88

Drives: 94 Camaro, 05 Magnum
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsenn View Post
GM is funny with their exporting policies. As of right now, you can take any Chevrolet product across the Canadian border EXCEPT the Corvette. GM feels that they can make the money off these cars anywhere and so they do. The only way around that is to register and drive the vehicle in the states for 3 months or 3,000 miles and then transfer the registration to Canada. OR you can have someone down here buy the car and then sell it to you as "used".
GM will not allow ANYTHING to go overseas as "new". I have a customer who buys Corvettes from me and exports them to unnamed countries overseas. He told me that a used 08 Vette that he can buy here for $40K or $50K he can sell back home for $250K USD. Granted, he has to pay a 28% tax when he exports, but he still makes huge profits.
Back on topic here...I wouldn't be surprised if the Camaro goes on the same list as the Vette when it comes to exporting to Canada. So I say make some friends in the states that you could trust with $40K and then buy your self a used Camaro!
I don't believe GM has any say in what vehicles are allowed and not allowed to be exported/imported to Canada. They may be able to annul warranties or not honour them in the receiving country, but they can't tell you what you can bring across the border...that is the role of the government. And up till now the Corvette was one of the vehicles not admissable into Canada as a result of bumper/crash standards...although it looks like new regulations have reversed this, and now we can import all the Vettes sold new in the US that we like. I could be wrong...but I really don't think what your saying is true.
Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote