Thread: Blade Spoiler
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2008, 10:49 PM   #18
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroZR1 View Post
For anyone who thinks the Wing spoiler is Ricey or anything. Think back to your car history. American And European cars both had wing styled spoilers way before the Japanese. People always complain about some wings looking too ricey, especially if it sits up higher than most wings, but think of the old Ferraris and...um...Daytona Charger/Super Bird. Look at the Old Firebird T/As and the Gen3 Z's...the Gen5 wing doesnt look any Ricier than these two.

Personally I think lay-on spoilers usually look pretty dumb (like my G6). Granted with the shape of the decklid, a lay-on spoiler looks decent on the Camaro.

Im just saying, is it really ricey....no I dont think so. It's just a different style, that Im guessing causes more Rear-end downforce at 90+ Mph. So if people want to fly in their camaros and would feel more comfortable with the downforce a wing would add, then they should get it.
As the resident devil's advocate, I want to point out that the cars with stylized spoilers usually had a function for those spoilers. Riced-out cars, as they are being called, barely break the 200-hp mark at best. Even when you have a 350-hp Civic Si, it is not usually getting to speeds fast enough to warrant a Boeing 747-quality wing. American cars with ginormous spoilers use them out of necessity. Honda Civics with ginormous spoilers are overcompensating for undersized engines and drivers who can't drive RWD.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote