View Single Post
Old 12-01-2010, 03:29 PM   #30
Total_Perf_Eng

Drives: Corvette
Send a message via AIM to Total_Perf_Eng
As being someone who has personally owned (3) 402 cid Centris, (1) 402' KB, (1) 443" TTi Twin Turbo, (1) 454" Direct port N20, and (1) 440' KB, all on the exact same car, and they were always a"true" street car, I would go for the KB (or any twin screw for that matter) over a centri for the street. They are hands down the best driving forced induction setup you can run on a street car.

People think that a twin screw car hits so hard that it is either undriveable, spins the tires everywhere you go, or affects the longevity. That is completely and totally false.

Heres the thing.. Yes, when you stab the throttle, you will go from no boost, to virtually full boost almost immediatly. Keyword: STAB. Although very fun, the car usually violently comes alive. Kinda like tossing water on your wife at 4am, while she's sound asleep. My point being, is when you are accelerating, even when aggressively accelerating, the blower bypass valve has the ability to gradually close. Being that it is spring loaded, there is resistance. So even when you are in boost, you can very easily take a 10psi car, and accelerate at 3-4psi. If you are not happy with that power, you can tip in harder to give yourself the full boost. What im getting at, is that when driving your car in anything but full throttle, the blower is very very driveable and predictable. Im not saying full throttle isnt predictable or driveable though.

Centris are great blowers. The Procharger holds more world titles than any other blower on the market of its kind. But when it comes to driveability, a top mount blower is wayyyyy more driveable when actually in boost, but not full tilt. Rather than being rpm dependant, they are throttle dependant. This means user input determines everything. The user does not need to focus on specific RPM's, all he needs to do, is modulate the pedal. EXACTLY the way you do with no blower.

Any of the 3 blowers you have chosen will more than handle your power level. They are all capable of delivering great driving experiences on your car. But unless you are making a "Driveability" decision based on your actual experiences, I would urge you to talk to alot of guys who drive both cars. You will find that the myth of high HP top mount cars, and their ability to be driven hard, is nothing more than a myth. Hence the reason the ZR1, and CTS-V all run top mount blowers.

My vote goes for a Twin Screw Blower.. They are sooooo fun to drive on the street. Plus they look cool as heck.

I hope this helps your decision. Depending on where you live, I may be able to contact a couple of our customers to arrange a drive in the different setups.

If you ever need pricing, we would be more than happy to quote you a price, and/or install as well. If you have any specific questions, and cant seem to find it on the forum, dont hesitate to call the shop, or even shoot a call or text to my personal cell 702-354-5333

Good luck on whatever direction you choose. Its a blast to drive blown Camaro's

Jeff
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvaderMoose View Post
I've been deciding and reading all about the available superchargers for a while now, but this question might require people who actually own one.

I've narrowed my choices down to a Vortech v3, a Kenne Bell, or a Whipple.

This car is my daily driver, so my biggest concerns are engine life and traction(can be fixed with suspension, but i cant afford that for a while).

I'm really, really leaning for the Vortech because I dont plan to EVER go over 700HP, and the way it builds rpms seems like itd be best for daily driving, but I'll come to Camaro5 and see what you guys think.
Total_Perf_Eng is offline   Reply With Quote