View Single Post
Old 06-05-2009, 11:28 PM   #9
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJS View Post
I'm off on a rant but I cannot for the life of me figure out how the mentality of today's drivers got sooooooo bad.
Automatic transmissions (as well as other automated parts). It allows people to pay less attention and allows people to not have a clue how to actually drive. It's way too easy.

A true story... I was in Huntington Beach, CA. I had a rental car... a Chevy Equinox (which I really liked). I can't remember the last time I parallel parked my car... just never have to around here. In fact, I don't think I have have parallel parked my truck in the almost 3yrs I've had it. So anyways, I had to parallel park this thing which I wasn't that familiar with and in a pretty tight spot. First try, perfect, no problem. I look across the street, there's this kid trying to park his BMW. Fail... fail... fail... fail... I think it took him like 5 tries to figure it out. It's like that video on the internet where some guy gets out of his car and parks the car for the lady that can't figure out how to park her own damn car.

So yea, what's all this have to do with automatic transmissions? Well I don't think these people could ever get down the street in a stick. Either that or replacing the cluth would be so often it would make driving cost prohibitive. Even if they did figure it out, they would actually have to focus on driving instead of doing other things which would make them better drivers.

I don't mean this as a knock on people getting an auto Camaro at all. It's just a side affect of making driving easier.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote