View Single Post
Old 11-02-2013, 09:46 PM   #13
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS View Post
I didn't know Hyundai and Kia were related. I voted Mitsubishi just because the only halfway interesting car they have is the EVO. I guess they still make it?

Volvos are boring too but they have the whole safety thing going for them.
I remember Volvo got caught in 1990 falsifying a commercial touting the roof strength of their cars. Although it was the advertising agency that did it Volvo had to approve it before it aired.

Quote:
THE MEDIA BUSINESS: ADVERTISING; Scali Quits Volvo Account, Citing Faked Commercial
By KIM FOLTZ
Published: November 14, 1990
SIGN IN TO E-MAIL
PRINT

Rocked by a highly publicized scandal involving a misleading Volvo commercial, Scali, McCabe, Sloves resigned the $40 million account yesterday.
"I'm devastated by it," said Marvin Sloves, the chairman and chief executive of the agency he founded 23 years ago with Sam Scali and Ed McCabe. Resigning the account "was the right thing to do," he said, adding, "The executives at Volvo deserve a chance to put this thing behind them."
Scali's undoing was the "Bear Foot" commercial, filmed in Austin, Tex., in which a giant pickup truck with tires nearly as tall as a man crunched its way across a line of cars, flattening all but a Volvo station wagon. The advertisement was presented as a real demonstration of Volvo's superior construction, but the results had been rigged by reinforcing the Volvo.
The Texas Attorney General got wind of the fakery and sued Volvo, forcing the company to apologize publicly in advertisements that ran in national newspapers and pay a fine of more than $300,000.