View Single Post
Old 05-13-2014, 10:45 AM   #47
McRat

Drives: 2010 ZR1 "Satan"
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckstacamaro View Post
Hey McRat; "There was simply no cars in the sixties and seventies that were all that fast, or had good enough manners to get you into a 4 wheel high speed drift."

I disagree with your statement stating that there were NO cars in the sixties and Seventies that could do a high speed Drift. I was drifting a 70 Chevy Nova back in 1978 with a warmed over Small Block 350, pushing about 400 HP, way before the Drifting was even a word or recognized sport.

My friends and I would drive around this banked bicycle track, with our so called Underpowered 60's/70's muscle cars just to see who could bank the turns sideways the longest. No ABS, No sway bars, No TC, just running on pure Horsepower and Torque on 14 and 15 inch wide tread tires. It all has to do with driving skill and not what the car can or cannot do.

I was referring to stock production cars. Sure you could upgrade them to remove some of the issues, but not all. Tire tech has come a very long way since the 15" rim.

They handled poorly, and lost control way before today's mini-van.

There are even 175mph American station wagons now that can click off a very low 12 ET and pull nearly a g in a corner.

If you could drive a 1965 V8 Mustang fast, you could probably kick Schumacher's ass today.
2010 ZR1 "Satan" no times yet.
2013 Volt SCCA Solo2 #771 HS3.
And a bunch of Duramaxes.
McRat is offline   Reply With Quote