View Single Post
Old 06-01-2009, 10:14 PM   #3
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul SS View Post
I take particular issue with your point that GM needs to "make cars that people want to buy," then calling this a "tall order"

I want to buy the Camaro, and so do lots of other people. Sad to say, but right now a lot of folks that would like to buy a new car, GM, Ford or whatever just can't afford it.
Rarely can anyone truly afford the car they are buying. That is why we need financing. Financial markets locked up when too many toxic loans took over the market. I have a big problem with blaming GM's inability to sell you a car on GM. If you could get a good loan rate, then you would be placing your deposit right away.

The media has this awful tendency of blaming corporate failure on its own decisionmaking. While this might make sense to the widely uneducated masses, car and business experts, like many of the members on Camaro5, know better. Large corporations are heavily dependent on financial markets for success. The automotive industry is dependent in 2 ways. The first way is that stock market collapse devalues their companies just like it devalues every other company. The second way that makes them even more vulnerable to market conditions is that buyers usually cannot buy their products without financial assistance from institutions that specialize in automotive loans. If a financial company is doing poorly due to market conditions, you can bet that an automotive company is doing much worse.

Basically, your point, if I read it correctly, is that GM does make cars that you want, but you can't buy them due to costs. Costs cannot go down because no company can afford to make a car that is safe and fun to drive for less. The blame for this situation is not GM's. It belongs to the financial markets that crashed, the companies that gladly accepted TARP money without helping anyone, and the people who took out loans for things they could not pay off.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote