View Single Post
Old 10-21-2013, 08:11 PM   #25
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=194285&page=3

This is one of the threads from 18 months ago or so where we discussed the 6th gen Camaro weight. I'll quote one of my posts but there is much more info in that thread.

"Given that the original numbers were taken from somewhere other than a GM press release, I went and located the official GM press release to verify some numbers.
"All three engines support the ATS’s agile and lightweight driving dynamics. With an estimated curb weight of less than 3,400 pounds (1,542 kg), it offers a more favorable power-to-weight ratio than key competitors. With the 3.6L V-6, for example, there is 1 horsepower for every 10.8 pounds of vehicle weight. That’s better than a 2012 Mercedes-Benz C350’s 11.9:1 ratio or the 2012 Audi A4 sedan’s 16.6:1 ratio."

Now if you plug in their 320 est. HP to their 10.8 lb per HP, you come up with 3,456 lb for the DOHC V6 ATS. Now plug in my numbers from earlier where there was 70 lb difference between V6 manual and SS manual (and they are currently talking about the DOHC V6 in the ATS with auto only, no manual which would make an even better number for us), then you arrive at 3,516 lb for a V8 version. And if that translated exactly to a 6th gen Camaro, we are still at 333 lb less than the current SS manual. Go read some of the press release about their weight reduction strategy, every part of the car was looked at for weight reduction, they concentrated on reducing weight by grams not pounds throughout the car, the made use of high strength steel and ultra high strength steel to allow parts to be thinner/lighter yet as strong or stronger. Almost all of this should move over to the 6th gen Camaro, I think the naysayers will see a difference if they look carefully at what GM has done with the ATS. These weight saving steps are a mere glimpse of GM's future production techniques.
Clyde"
quote ws originally posted on 1/9/2012

Given the weight saving engineering already done, I don't think there is going to be a wholle lot of areas left for significant weight reduction.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote