View Single Post
Old 07-31-2012, 09:25 PM   #11
ForgedReality
Envy

Drives: 2011 SGM 2SS/RS - Black hood/hockey
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy_1980 View Post
worse than a standard MP3 compression of 128kbps, something many people think is too lossy.
MPEG3 compression, by definition is lossy. That means that each time you save it, it gets worse and worse quality, which is why you should NEVER transcode.

But of course, you meant it just sounds bad. I would agree. I don't accept anything lower than 320kbps unless I absolutely have no other choice. The marketing gimmick states that 128 is "CD quality," but this is DEFINITELY not the case at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by was619 View Post
Pandora Seems to suit me just fine and the quality of sound is close to that of CDs or high quality mp3/digital copies. Worth the comparison for someone that has changed out their speakers and stuff
I wouldn't accuse Pandora of being anywhere near high quality MP3. It's usually better than XM though, but that isn't saying much. Pandora and Slacker are often considerably worse than 128kbps, in my experience. Slacker tends to sound a little better, and less tinny, but it also has less selection from what I've seen.
ForgedReality is offline   Reply With Quote