View Single Post
Old 07-19-2011, 02:55 AM   #1
TotallyDavis

Drives: Pontiac Firebird
Lightbulb Never been a car person, but Camaro has changed that; found awesome car basics site!

I don't know where I read this, but I remember reading that it's unique to the current generation the idea that you can own something and have no idea how it works.

Prior to 1950-ish; owning something meant you understood it, could care for it, and do basic maintenance on it.

I never took any mechanics courses in high school, so I've gone my life so far without really understanding exactly how an internal combustion engine works. The most advanced auto projects I've ever undertaken are tighting the connections on a corroded battery and identifying a broken serptentine belt, but now that I'm going to be driving a car that I'll be proud of, and actively taking care of, I want to know how it all works.

Funnily enough, "How Stuff Works" has a fantastic website with all kinds of great articles I just found, including a fantastic animation of what's going on inside the engine along with other components.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/engine1.htm

I'm reading though their articles right now and really enjoying them.

After this, I think a good DIY car manual regarding upkeep and care will be in order, and then I can move on to more detailed specs of exactly what makes Chevy's new V6 so special.
TotallyDavis is offline   Reply With Quote