View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 10:38 PM   #38
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Drives: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandwhite View Post
I'm tired of the unappealing heavy stock rims on the new LS's.
Just for the record each LS wheel and tire weigh in at 62.9 lbs. (NOTE: 2010 wheels from C5 wiki pages) The SS front 20x8 and tire are 59.58 lbs and the SS rear 20x9 and tire weigh 68 lbs. So stock SS fronts are only 3.32 lbs lighter and the stock SS rears actually weigh 7.1 lbs more than your LS wheel/tires. If you go aftermarket, some wheel/tires may be even heavier than that if you aren't mindful of their weights.

Edit: I tried to find the weight of made in China Replica Alloys. Only thing I could find was a shipping weight on Amazon's site of 15.7 lbs. WOW, don't see how they could be almost half the weight of the OEM wheels (20x9=32.36 lbs.) and be anywhere near the strength.
May want to check out the site link below as well.

The-truth-about-replica-wheels-and-why-OEM-is-better

Edit 2: From link above. IF they are that much lighter, this may explain it:

"Myth: Replica wheels are just as strong as the factory original wheels.
Truth: Replica wheels are made using the cheapest manufacturing method available (gravity casting). This is when molten aluminum is simply poured into a mold and allowed to cool off. This method results in a wheel that has lesser density aluminum, since no pressure is applied (most factory wheels use a what's called low pressure casting method). What this really means is that the replica wheels are much more likely to get bent or cracked, since they are made from much weaker, more porous material. We have seen this happen over and over again."

Last edited by MLL67RSSS; 01-04-2013 at 11:21 PM.
MLL67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote