View Single Post
Old 03-02-2011, 10:39 AM   #46
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Sorry, but 350 to 400 pounds is wayyyyyyy too much. All of the things you listed, including making it a 2 passnger car (cough Corvette, cough, cough) would save maybe 150 pounds.

To get where you would like to go involves light weight and exotic materials. I know this from my work on the Z06 where we got an aluminum structure, carbon fiber fender outers, carbon fiber floor panels, carbon fiber fendes and we saved all of .................drum roll please.................165 pounds. And almost all of my guys work was off set by larger wheels and tires, LS7 with remote oil reservoir and Big Ginormous Brakes.

It's just not feasible to get that much weight out without adding a big, humungous pile of cash. And you know what that translates into on the sticker of a low volume car (no rear seats means ultra low volume as you are really now talking a Corvette) don't you????

A number of years ago, as part of a magazine project I prepared, a C5 Z06 was treated to c/f front end/hood/rear fenders/wing/splitter along with Corbeau 1-piece buckets and an LPE rear battery kit, as well as long tube headers and full 3" exhaust. Then, a roll cage/18 X 12 fr./18 X 13 rr. 3-piece wheels with corresponding tires and 6-piston/4-piston calipers were added.

Net effect? SAME curb weight, but w/50-50 distribution...

BTW, an LS7, wet-sumped, will weigh within a pound or three of an LS3... 80 hp, zero weight...it's the HD driveline bits 'n pieces required that will add...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote