View Single Post
Old 05-20-2013, 02:28 PM   #13
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry_b View Post
I'd like to upgrade the "soft" suspension on my V6 with something a bit firmer but still very comfortable... also cheap.

Aftermarket all looks very nice, but to be honest, most of it falls out of the price range I'm willing to spend.

From what I have read, it would need to be 2012/2013 SS or ZL1 to be worth it, correct?

Also, what all *should* I replace? I understand it might be less desirable to use the ZL1 springs on my V6 struts? I'm at 40k miles so would it be worth it to replace struts too (they're a bit pricey)? Or would I be better off with SS springs? A small drop and a bit firmer would be ideal.

I guess front/rear sways (rear ZL1 would require control arms?), springs (SS or ZL1?) links maybe, and lower rear control arms is what I would need?
You are correct, you would need the 2012+ rear LCA's with the outboard end link mounting locations to accommodate a Z style bar. Other than that, all you would need are the bars and end links (they come with mounts and brackets). AFAIK The ZL1 bar will not work on the V6, but there seems to be others who have done it. I would wait for picture confirmation before purchasing.

As for the springs, I would recommend going aftermarket. There is not much gain to be had with the springs unless you are getting for next to nothing. I would recommend the Hotchkis springs. They are very affordable and ride great! Also I would recommend some SS struts, or better yet those from a 1LE.

Please feel free to call, PM or email me anytime with questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICTsccaCamaro View Post
One thing to keep in mind when I installed our 1LE struts and springs I didnt get any drop it actually lifted ours about 1\2in in the front not sure why but it did
That is because the V6 weighs less than the V8. Same reason the convertibles will drop a little more in the rear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICTsccaCamaro View Post
Yes stock GM ZL1 rear sway ordered from dealership fit and cleared fine, not sure what the other guys were doing wrong but ours cleared just fine.
Very interesting. I was also under the impression that they would not work on the V6. We haven't attempted it personally. Do you happen to have any pics?

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote