View Single Post
Old 01-20-2011, 12:27 PM   #17
Ironheadspearo
ride the pain train

Drives: 2011 1LT RS, 1998 fxstc HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
The thing is, many of those cars are barely beating inflation.

Case in point the 87 Buick GN. Fully loaded was about $17k new in 1987, and WAY more limited than the Camaro will ever be. You can now get one with low miles for around $20k, however Based on inflation alone you would have been better off saving the money as that $17k is almost $32k in today's money. They only made 20,000 Buick Grand Nationals in all of 1987 (and only 8,000 in 86), they will make 20,000 '11 Camaro Convertibles in 3 months.

Another thing to point out is while production numbers of the Camaro are similar now to 1969, Cars (in relation to salary) were MUCH cheaper then. Taking Inflation alone again, a 69 Camaro Z28 loaded would be about $22k today, econobox money. And I know from speaking to my elders that even the hottest cars were treated almost as disposable back then. Hence why clean nice ones are so rare (that and the fact the non galvanized steel rusts like crazy). Now a '10/'11 Camaro SS is more than half the average persons yearly before tax salary. Almost every one of us has a car payment of some sort on this site. I think few if any of us will treat a $36k car as "disposable". And also many people have the same idea - "I'm not gonna make the same mistake as my dad, this will be an investment". Well if you add up all those cars, there will be plenty of clean original ones to choose from, even in 40 years. Excess supply = low demand = price down.
Give that grand national 10 to 15 more years and my guess the prices will shoot up dramatically. for instance

22 years ago when i was 16 just getting my lisence i could have bought a 69 camaro ss off this guy for 12k black with charcoal grey rally stripes, super clean car and basically original condition. now try and buy that car. in 1988 the 69 camaro was 19 years old. now its 40 years old and to find one in that same condition might set you back 50k maybe even more. i saw one out to a show the guy wanted 130k for it. obviously that car for 130k was insane sick but, the older any of this stuff gets the more rare and harder to find.