View Single Post
Old 09-20-2014, 08:52 PM   #1
jasonfichter

Drives: 2017 A10 ZL1
Pirelli World Challenge/Trans-Am Camaro Build Thread

Welcome to the build thread for our new Camaro race car. This car will be built as a Pirelli World Challenge GTS car as well as in Trans-Am race series as a TA3 car.

I currently run a Mini Cooper in World Challenge on Breathless Performance Pro Racing Team. Last season was my first ever race season and I finished in 5th place over all. This Camaro is an awesome step up from the Mini Cooper. I will be running both of these cars next season.

If you would like updates on the build please subscribe to this thread. I will try to update it frequently as things get done to the car.

If you would like updates on my racing please take a look at my racing page on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/jfichterracing

As of right now sponsorship opportunities are available for both of these cars. If anyone is interested, or you have any suggestions of sponsors I should pursue please PM me.

We are also looking for some design ideas if anyone is good with photoshop. We are looking to stick to the same colors as my other car.

This is my car I run now.

We bought the car as a theft car. The car had the engine and transmission stripped as well as most of the interior.
Its not much now but it has a lot of potential.

Sorry to keep everyone waiting.

The Arrival

The white beauty is my street car

Here is one set of racing rims that we have bought so far just to get the car rolling. The original set if rims was from an old firebird and they didn't fit over the brakes.

The Damage

Because we bought the car sight unseen we apparently missed an important detail, it had a sunroof. They also neglected to tell us that once the car had the engine and tranny removed the driveshaft was left in place while it was towed. This means that the driveshaft spun as the back wheels did and tore apart the transmission tunnel. We aren't complaining because this is the fun in building the car.

Here are some pics of the damage to the transmission tunnel. You can see the it not only destroyed the inside, but also the lip on the tunnel and the outside of the tunnel.

This is half of the shaft. The first half of the shaft fell off while we were pushing it because it was so damaged.

Here is a picture of the biggest problem right here.

The Fix

We began stripping the rest of the interior out. There wasn't a whole lot left so it didn't take long. The dash and all the bars were pulled so everything behind the dash could be removed.

The first attempts for the body shop to fill in the roof were unsuccessful. Luckily they blamed themselves and fixed it for the original price. They eventually decided it was better to replace the entire roof rather than to fill in the sunroof.

The First Attempt

The Second And Final Attempt

Transmission Tunnel Fix
It has been welded and reworked to look factory. Sorry I forgot to get pictures before it was fixed.

Tomorrow the car comes back from the body shop and thats when the real fun begins. Once it is back there will be no more repairs, only racing improvements. I promise the fun is only just starting.

The transmission pieces were delivered to the builder 2 weeks ago meaning it should be done in about a week and a half.

The pieces for the engine builder have just started arriving.

Update 1:

Steering Wheel Has Arrived

All of the wires have been removed. This is only 1/4 of it.

The doors have been trimmed down to fit the roll cage door bars. They will be trimmed much more later on.

Front crash bars have been removed and will be custom fabricated to be lighter
We are in the process of putting some heat reflecting material on the firewall and the transmission tunnel. This is what we have done so far.

Last edited by jasonfichter; 09-27-2014 at 09:36 PM.
jasonfichter is offline   Reply With Quote