View Single Post
Old 08-20-2011, 10:54 AM   #4
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Bumble Bee View Post
I just realized before I read your post that I meant TSB. Thanks fot the catch. It has a little over 41,000 but it's been doing it since before the first oil change. The dealer told me it was glaze and that it would come and go but I don't ever remember having pads that squeal as much as these.
The noise issue with the Brembo brakes is a combination of pad material and insufficient mass to minimise sound. That is why the cars originally shipped with stick on wheel weights. The weights added mass to the calipers. Then they moved to the rollers on the brake pads for the same reason.

At 10, 20 or even 30K I would lean towards the pad material, glaze and mass. At 40K I would lean toward brake pad wear. My guess is the squeal you here at 40K is from worn pads. Please take you car in to check the brake pads for wear.

If the pads are in good condition and not i need of replacement we have found that re-bedding your pads will reduce squeal. The process builds a lot of heat and should not be used on worn pads as it could be dangerous with insufficient pad material.

Find an open stretch of highway that is lightly trafficked. At 55 MPH stand on the brakes hard and slow to 35 MPH, go to 65 and slow to 35, go to 75 and slow to 35. Do NOT come to a full stop. Drive at least another five miles to let the brakes cool. When you park, do not use your e-brake. These steps are designed to heat the rotors and pads while avoiding pad transfer.

Again, at 40K, you are most likely in need of new pads. The rotors should be resurfaced or replaced. The bedding process for your new rotors and brakes is the same.

Let us know what you find.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote