View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 06:04 PM   #4
Caspers2SSRS
Caspers2SSRS

Drives: Summit White 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweiten View Post

Okay, I own a 2010 Camaro 1LT RS. I would like to get the windows tinted. I don't really want to go anything less that 30% becuase it is suppose to be 50% legally. But anyway, I looked at the window of my Camaro and it says 70% Transparency STOCK. Does that mean it's already tinted at 70%?

Also, if the Windows are already tinted at 70% what percent should I put on to equal 30%-35%.

If anyone owns a Red Camaro could you please post pictures of your tint with the % Number? Thanks!

P.S. I am still a noob to Camaro5.com so forgive me if this is posted in the wrong spot.
The answer to your question is NO.

The factory glass allows 70% of the light to enter.........................it does not block 70% of the light from entering....it actually blocks out 30%.

The misnomer is that you believe transparency means the same thing as tint..............................it is actually the opposite in that context. Simply put...................if the glass were 100 % clear and you put 35% tint on it. The tint would be allowing 35% of the light into the car or the opposite................... keeping 65% of the light out.

The passenger and drivers side windows in ND can be tinted to block out 50% of the light maximum, this is also allowing 50% transparency..........aka 50% of the light in.......so using 35% is automatically illegal.

The little windows behind the doors from which rear seat passengers view out, may be tinted as dark as you'd like................meaning 100%.

The rear window may be tinted as dark as you'd like...............meaning 100%.

No mirror or metallic reflective tints are allowed anywhere on the car in ND.

The windshield may not be tinted below the factory supplied tint threshold of 70%. Do not add any tint to the windshield.

Once again if you install 35% tint on clear glass, the tint will block out 65 % of the light.

If you install 35% tint on glass with a 70% Transparency and 30% of the light is already being blocked.......................(35%+30%) divided by 2 = 32.5% Transparency.....MEANING............you'd be far under 50% on the drivers & passenger windows and thus in violation ..................because the legal threshold is 50% as mentioned above.

Last edited by Caspers2SSRS; 01-22-2013 at 06:15 PM.
Caspers2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote