View Single Post
Old 11-18-2013, 11:27 AM   #16
oachalon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
I agree with all the statements after mine.

I understand no ones quality is perfect, I deal with that on a daily basis.

What I have observed which I could be wrong is:

The coilovers that fail seem to be at low miles
Quite a few posts it seems not many had ever been to a track

The cost of a strut/shock is quite cheap, so I don't expect it to be able to handle aggressive autocrossing or track use.

The cost of these coilovers are quite expensive, and their main purpose and reason they were created was to be used for aggressive autocrossing, and track racing. These parts which were made for these specific situations and environments and have a big cost adder seem to be failing quite a bit.

To me I look at it this way:

You have stock components. These components cost X, and are only made to work in a specific environment (street). For the most part they don't fail in this environment and the costs reflect this.

Now you have coilovers. These components Cost Y, which sometimes is 5-10times more in price that struts/shocks. They are made to work in a more extreme environment, which is reflective in their costs. But in relative terms they seem to fail more in its respective environment.