View Single Post
Old 11-15-2009, 11:01 AM   #2
thiggin2

Drives: 05/07 Chevy's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buelligun View Post
I've never owned a car that has an oil life indicator, (I haven't ever owned a car as cool as the Camaro either!!)
Can anyone tell me if the percentage drops at a set rate due to engine hours run or will it drop quicker if the engine is pushed I seem to be struggling to find any other throttle positions other than on and off!!!
Well this is a cut and paste from the manual to somewhat explain it.

Quote:
When to Change Engine Oil

This vehicle has a computer system that indicates when to change the engine oil and filter. This is based on engine revolutions and engine temperature, and not on mileage. Based on driving conditions, the mileage at which an oil change is indicated can vary considerably. For the oil life system to work properly, the system must be reset every time the oil is changed.

When the system has calculated that oil life has been diminished, it indicates that an oil change is necessary. A "Change Engine Oil Soon" message comes on. See Engine Oil Messages. Change the oil as soon as possible within the next 1 000 km (600 miles). It is possible that, if driving under the best conditions, the oil life system might not indicate that an oil change is necessary for over a year. However, the engine oil and filter must be changed at least once a year and at this time the system must be reset. Your dealer/retailer has trained service people who will perform this work using genuine parts and reset the system. It is also important to check the oil regularly and keep it at the proper level.

If the system is ever reset accidentally, the oil must be changed at 5 000 km (3,000 miles) since the last oil change. Remember to reset the oil life system whenever the oil is changed.
thiggin2 is offline   Reply With Quote