View Single Post
Old 08-06-2009, 08:16 PM   #252
dursin

Drives: Suburban
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddiyo View Post
didn't they add the weight "for safety reasons"?

once again i love the hypocrisy of people on this board. "oooh no i can't drive an 'econo box' GTI, they're not safe!! i need a bigger car!" but now that the camaro has the same rating all of a sudden safety is not a factor anymore.
How true! Can you imagine for even a second what this thread would look like if the Camaro got a 5 star rating and the Challenger got 4 stars?!? I can see all the "OMG, UNSAFE POS!" posts now!

Personally I don't worry about crash test ratings too much. I just totaled my '99 Cavalier a month or so ago in a frontal crash and aside from a shoulder that's still a little sore, I came out of it pretty good. That car had a 3 star crash test rating and a 1 star side impact...which pretty much meant that if someone pushed a shopping cart into my door at the grocery store I would have been airlifted to the nearest trauma center.

That said, a lot of people are concerned about crash test ratings. All things considered, if I was trying to decide between a Camaro and a Challenger, the crash test results would weigh heavily. As a parent, that would be even more true if I were buying the car for my daughter/son (hypothetical only...I should be so rich!). I don't know any parent who would chose the 'less safe' car, even if it was 4 stars vs 5 stars. In the end, this will hurt the Camaro sales, even if just a little bit.
dursin is offline   Reply With Quote