View Single Post
Old 04-18-2011, 04:55 PM   #8
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKEP44 View Post
Im looking at changing my ring and pinion out to get more punch off the line. I dont take my car to the track and mostly stay in town so no need for it to be able to go 140mph for long periods. That being said I have done some searching around on here and found quite a few people that have done gear swaps with the LS3/M6 combo but not many who have done them with the automatic. I would think that the 3.73 set up would be good but the 4.10 or 4.11 seems like it might be a little better. Is there anybody out there who has done one and liked the combo that they got?
When equipped the the automatic transmission (A6) the SS comes with a 3.27 rear end and cruises at 1795 RPM at 70 MPH. By upgrading the factory 3.27s in the stock A6 equipped Camaro SS to the 3.73s you will realize an equivalent torque gain of approximately 15% or 61.5 rear wheel lb.-ft. of torque and cruise at 2050 RPM at 70 MPH. By upgrading the A6 to the 4.11s you will realize an equivalent torque gain of approximately 27% or 110.7 rear wheel lb.-ft. of torque and cruise at 2250 RPM at 70 MPH. The A6 transmission is geared more aggressively than the M6 SS so we have found that 3.73 is the ideal gear for most A6 equipped SS applications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick SS View Post
I have 3.73s and love them!! It give you that "push you in your seat felling".
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybercoaster View Post
Got 3.73's in mine over the weekend - wow. I did notice the increase in RPM as well. It's pretty expensive but talk about the butt in your seat. The head rest is now a head stop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro1 View Post
3.73's are great in the auto, you can really feel it pull through the gears faster, and hwy cruise rpm is only about 250rpm higher
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote