View Single Post
Old 04-11-2008, 09:49 PM   #86
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
I know I may be preaching to the choir, however cylinder deactivation is crap in my opinion, sorry to say, and should have an on/off switch inside the car if it is in the new Camaro. I definitely want it sounding like a muscle car and not a Nissan 350z... How much more fuel efficient would this cylinder deactivating engine be over using all four cylinders? If it is only 5%-10% better on gas mileage, then it isn't worth having it on when driving around a parking lot where I want the car sounding as tough as a Mustang for example...
Have you ever driven a vehicle with cylinder deactivation? (just curious)

5-10% actually adds up pretty quick, and when you're on the highway cruising for a while, fuel savings are even greater than GM's estimates.

This statement confuses me:
"How much more fuel efficient would this cylinder deactivating engine be over using all four cylinders?"

Do you mean how much more fuel efficient it would be versus a non-AFM V8?

Secondly, it probably won't activate when driving around a parking lot. Check out that video floating around here somewhere with the G8's AFM engaging. Note that at lower speeds, AFM is off, and all 8 cylinders are firing to keep the thing spinning.