View Single Post
Old 12-12-2011, 09:47 AM   #24
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: 2020 6.2 Trail Boss, 2022 XC90
Quote:
Its not so much the subs that you are running, its just acoustics. The bass waves want something to hit off of plus it takes a bass wave 7 feet of travel to hit its optimal sound range, so 2.5 feet to the trunk and 5 feet back to your head. Its about right.
That is a simple way to say it...and a good ballpark as to what is going on. With sub bass we are looking for 1/4 wave or 1/2 wave points inside of a car...thus again why we measure in SPL and not really dB. 30 hz is 30 cycles per sec...speed of sound...yadda yadda...math math...it completes its cycle outside of your car. LOL

All of us like Todd (TC Audio) on here, myself...few others...that compete in USAC and IASCA in the upper tiers pay attention to path length and soundwave recreation. It makes a big difference on staging with the front speakers. This is one reason you see seats moved back in SQ cars. My GN has the seats back like 9 inches. My seating position puts driver and passenger smack dab middle of front mids and rear subs. You can do the same in a camaro...look at Todd's build.